Organic vs. Non-Organic
Please complete the following information before answering the questions:
1. The Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture concluded after analyzing many studies that there was _______ clear or consistent difference in the nutritional value between organic and conventional foods.
2. _____________ are defined as "any preparation for destroying plant, fungal, or animal pests."
3. Organic farming is NOT pesticide free!
4. Consumers pay a higher price for organic products because organic farmers ____________ higher crop losses before using pesticides.
5. Organic farmers may use ten times more pesticides and at higher concentrations.
6. The difference between organic and synthetic pesticides is not their toxicity to pests, people or the environment, but rather their ____________.
7. Conventional milk in the United States is 100% free from artificial hormones and 99.999% free of antibiotics.
8. There are no artificial hormone supplements allowed or sold for use in pigs and _____________.
9. No realistic health threats have been found from use of hormones, natural or synthetic, in beef production.
10. It is always important to remember that increased health risks from pesticides, hormones or antibiotics _______________ mean that those risks will always affect you.
B. does not
11. Currently 1/3 of the organic produce sold in the United States is imported from:
C. New Zealand
E. Central America
F. South America
G. All of the above
12. Conventional produce is more likely to contain E. coli than organic produce.
13. Organic corn products contain higher amounts of fumonisin, which has been linked to birth defects.
14. In historical and global terms the U.S. food supply is extremely safe and healthy to eat.