Please complete the following information before answering the questions:
1. Refining whole grains normally removes the ________ & ________ from the whole grain kernel.
endosperm and bran
endosperm and germ
bran and germ
2. Health care professionals urge consumers to eat at least __________ of their grains as whole grains.
3. People who eat whole grains regularly have a lower risk of heart disease, stroke, cancer, diabetes and obesity.
4. Seeing "wheat germ" on a package label means the product contains whole grains.
5. The word fiber on a food label is the same as seeing whole grain.
6. To add more whole grain in your meal plan try adding ______________, _____________, sorghum, or barley to your favorite canned or home made soup.
All of the listed options
7. The bran is the multi-layered outer skin of the kernel, and is tough enough to protect the other two parts of the kernel.
8. The germ is the embryo, which if ____________ by pollen, will sprout into a new plant.
9. The endosperm is by far the _______ portion of the kernel.
10. The fiber in barley is especially healthy; it may lower cholesterol even more effectively than _____ fiber.
11. Corn has twice the antioxidants of apples.
12. One cup of cooked Teff contains more ________ than a cup of milk.
13. Young children, ages 2 - 6, should eat _______ servings from the bread/grain food group daily.